Monday, June 12, 2017

Euros Euros Euros

So did you know that studying abroad is expensive? Did you also know that going to Europe is expensive? Did you also also know that life is expensive? Well folks,all those things are true.
If anyone knows me, they know that I am a huge saver. I have put tons of birthday money into savings and really any spare money into that account. I don’t like spending. I feel like there aren’t that many material things that I need. I also tend to have buyers remorse. Gosh, that is just about the worst feelings to have when you buy something you’re really excited about and then the minute you take the wrapping off at home, you want to return it ASAP.

There are few things I don’t have buyers remorse about. My cherished memories and vacations are some of those things. Not once have I looked back on a family trip, Disneyland trip, or exciting adventure where I feel regret for spending money on it. Life thrives on good memories. It thrives on seeing the world through different lenses and being able to connect with new people and place around you. So, is the study abroad program I’m doing expensive? Yes. Every time I buy a 2 Euro gelato with a 2 Euro slice of take-away pizza, I feel my wallet shed a tear or two. I have eating out almost every day and trying to figure out how much more I’m spending in US dollars instead of Euros.

But do I regret coming here? Oh heck no!!!! This is an experience where I grow and learn and become a better more cultured person. I wouldn’t trade this for the world. As I’ve gotten older (and with pep talks from my parents) I have come to see that money is not everything. Yes it helps in many ways and can provide some peace of mind, but it’s not everything. Spend money on things worth spending money on. Not that cute shirt you “need”, but on the things that will lead to a closer-knit family. A new perspective. A better relationship with God. A higher education. A story to tell around the campfire.
Just some food for thought.


x

1 comment:

  1. I love all these pics and you!!! You are having such amazing experiences...wow! Amen yo to all you said in all of your posts. Ciao, Bella!

    ReplyDelete